Do I have a valid lawsuit if I am unable to work?

On Behalf of | Oct 24, 2022 | Car Accidents |

In Washington, you may have a valid legal claim if a driver caused a car crash that left you unable to return to work. Extensive medical care may cause your employer to discharge you from all future job duties leaving you without employment. In this case, you can file a lawsuit against the driver for lost wages. You may also have a claim based on your inability to earn an income in the future. In legal terms, these claims refer to special damages and general damages.

You must have medical proof to substantiate your lawsuit

You will need to obtain your medical records from the doctor’s office and the hospital that took care of your injuries. Lawsuits pertaining to auto accidents require proof, including a physician’s note, a letter signed by your former supervisor or manager stating why you are no longer working and a copy of your bank statement.

Inability to work because of the accident

Whether your disability is temporary or permanent, an inability to perform your previous job duties may warrant filing a legitimate lawsuit against the negligent party. Since you are not to blame if an automobile accident causes you to lose your job, filing a legal claim is a next step. You might receive monetary compensation for your damages if you win your case.

Complexities in the law

Filing a lawsuit on your own is inadvisable because of the complexities in interpreting the law. Suffice it to say that you may have a chance to win in or out of court should you decide to pursue your legal claim against the driver who caused the accident. Winning a lawsuit can provide you with additional money for paying the rent, mortgage and medical bills.